On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 08:28:33AM -0500, Jay Kline wrote:
> I just got a new laptop, and because of the nature of it, I am on
> different networks all the time with it. Some networks have DHCP
> (well, most do) but a few do not. The few that dont all use the same
> subnet (thankfully), so I was wondering if there is anything like what
> XP has for configuring the IP address (ie- try DHCP if it fails
> fallback to an alternate IP address). I know pump has some scripting
> capabilities, is this possible?

pump is being dropped even by Red Hat in favor of the ICS DHCP Client.
Scripting comes with your particular distribution's flavor of network
management.  Debian uses a "map" scheme so that you can do exactly what
you want, provided with it's ifupdown package.  Check out the
/usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples directory for examples on how to set up
mapping.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie