On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 09:53:38AM -0600, Jack Surek wrote:
> (1) How do I tell the GRUB to bring up Linux in command line mode?

At the grub command line try "linux single"?

Or, once X has started switch to a different virtual terminal with
ctrl-alt-n, where "n" is a number from 1 to 6. Usually X is running on
virtual terminal 7, so ctrl-alt-7 will take you back to that.

> (2) Anyone know the vertical and horizontal refresh rates for a BenQ
> FP791?

? Try booting from a Knoppix live cd and see if that sets it up correctly.
If it does then copy the relevant bits from the XF86Config file.