On Tue, Mar 08, 2016 at 05:21:01PM -0600, gregrwm wrote:

> apt-get can purge some packages and install other ones in the same
> invocation.  but is there a way to do a dist-upgrade and install some new
> packages in the same invocation?

I have been with Linux (only) since 1993 but I am new to the list, so I do
not know whether you are supposed to get public or private responses for a
question like this one. I will make mine public.

Is anyone charging you money for multiple invocations?!?! Ok, jokes aside,
the quick search I performed did not shed any light on this specifically.
I looked into both the Debian and the Ubuntu manual pages for apt-get.

Here is a page with a lot of examples:
http://www.tecmint.com/useful-basic-commands-of-apt-get-and-apt-cache-for-package-management/
You may want to dig deeper into the "apt library" and see how you can use
components of it on your own if it is that important.

What this guy would do is virtualize a box and start experimenting with
concatanating commands to apt-get. But do not listen to me, I am a Slackware
user.
IN