Quoting Nate Carlson (natecars at real-time.com):
> On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, Bob Tanner wrote:
> > This include lightning arrestors and copper->fiber->cober to protect your
> > network?
>
> Lightning arrestor's only $50-$100.. why do the fiber conversion? Never
> heard of anyone doing that, except for cases where you need a long
> ethernet run..

Haven't been paying attention to what I've been tell you. :-P

antenna<->arrestor<->low loss cable<->Bridge<->ethernet<->NOC

Lightning hits antenna there is a very, very good potential that the current
will flow all the way to the NOC and fry everything.

antenna<->arrestor<->low loss cable<->Bridge<->Media Convertor<->ethernet<->NOC

Stick a piece of fiber in there (media convertor) and the glass protects your
NOC, since electricity does not flow through glass. You'll loose the antenna,
arrestor, cable and bridge, but that is much better then your $30K core router.

You also want to make sure the media convertors are on seperate UPS and if
possible circuits. Electricity is a smart little beast and will flow through the
circuits in walls and seek and destroy your NOC.

--
Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com>         | Phone : (952)943-8700
http://www.mn-linux.org, Minnesota, Linux | Fax   : (952)943-8500