On Monday (04/22/2002 at 08:50AM -0500), Clay Fandre wrote:

> Chris Elmquist wrote:
> >>eth0: IEEE standard IBSS ad-hoc mode supported
> >>eth0: WEP supported, 104 bit key
> >
> >                        ^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > This looks really suspecious to me.  It's the same sort of thing I saw
> > with a D-Link Prism2 card when the card services were incorrectly
> > giving the card 3.3V when it should have 5v.
>

> Ahhh, so the 104-bit key message is actually correct:
>
> "WEP specifies the use of a 40-bit encryption key and there are also
> implementations of 104-bit keys. The encryption key is concatenated with
> a 24-bit "initialization vector," resulting in a 64- or 128-bit key.
> This key is input into a pseudorandom number generator. The resulting
> sequence is used to encrypt the data to be transmitted."
>
> Taken from
> http://www.dell.com/us/en/gen/topics/vectors_2001-wireless_security.htm

well, it's correct I suppose.  But what I saw with the D-Link card is that
by just changing the voltage supplied to the card--  ie, by using the
"ignore_cis_vcc" option-- and not changing any other drivers or firmware,
the card would go from 104-bit to 128-bit encryption according to the
'dmesg' signon text.  It also went from not working to working at the same
time.  Go figure.

cje

--
Chris Elmquist   mailto:chrise at pobox.com   http://www.pobox.com/~chrise