not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but i've been running into
problems with the mail server for this list.  this message and another
batch of messages from the tclug mailing from 7/24 made it into my
mailbox this AM.  i lobbed a message to postmaster at tcwug.org a few
days back and haven't received any response.   is all well with the
server?

this smells a lot like secondary mail queues not getting serviced
until a week or so later.  if this looks to be an ongoing issue i can
provide a server to host the mailing list on that is quite well
connected and has more than ample horsepower to support the list.

if these issues have been permanently resolved this is a non-issue,
but if this looks to be an extended situation i am happy to provide a
stable home for the list if need be.

incidently - regarding a pipermail replacement, i highly recommend
mhonarc [1] as a replacement.  this works quite nicely with the latest
release of mailman and provides a lot of functionality that it would
seem pipermail botched in the past.  (support for multi-part mime
messages, charset conversion, etc.)

i've been running this on a rather high-volume list (well in excess of
100+ postings a day) and it runs quite nicely.  obviates much of the
pipermail nastiness.

when last we saw our hero (Tuesday, Jul 23, 2002),
 steve ulrich was madly tapping out:

> outside of the cisco mobile-ip support - i know of the monarch
> project[1] (out of cmu) and the mosquitonet project[2]. charles
> perkins (nokia research fellow)  has been doing this for some time
> and i believe his page [3] has a lot of information on it.  it's
> quite workable it's just a pita to set up. ;-)
>

> when last we saw our hero (Tuesday, Jul 23, 2002), Carl Wilhelm
> Soderstrom was madly tapping out:
> > > it might bear reviewing if folks would like the functionality.
> > > although it must be pointed out that this would further burden
> > > the network since the tunneling mechanisms used would be
> > > shuffling packets around suboptimally. in a situation where b/w
> > > is at a premium this might not be an acceptable solution.
> >
> > do you have any good links to discussions of it? I'm somewhat
> > curious about it.
> >

> references
>
> [1] - http://www.monarch.cs.cmu.edu/
> [2] - http://mosquitonet.stanford.edu/software/mip.html
> [3] - http://www.iprg.nokia.com/~charliep/

{ snipped - misc .signatures }

steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC