Nate Carlson wrote:
> [...]
> >From what I've read, Linksys actually hooks these babies up to a tester in
> the factory, and sets the max power on each unit to what it can put out
> within FCC regulations.

I agree that the numbers are plugged in by some automated step
at the tail end of manufacturing. The criteria are more likely to
be some design values, rather than the max permissible o/p. Some
boxes may be able to put more out cleanly, others may not. Without
access to some pretty spendy test equipment, your average Joe
has no way of telling :-(

> I've done this hack, and it does greatly increase range -- but is the cost
> worth it? I think not.. unless you really don't mind killing everything in
> the frequency range.  :)  (Basically, if you're on channel 6, you'll see
> traffic on 1-11 from this radio..)

I agree that now the plots are in, this hack is at best not very
effective, and at worst detrimental to other users of the
spectrum (and not just the ISM band, but people either side
of it.)

> [WAP11 diversity config utility question...]
> Hmm.. the second-to-most-recent USB utility did.. they removed that?
> That's lame. Maybe people didn't understand diversity and thought they
> could have one antenna for inside and one for outside or something.. :)

Want to know what the *only* difference I can find between the
USB and the SNMP utilities is - you guessed it: diversity. I
was using the SNMP utilities because the WAP11 now lives
on the end of 1/2" of hardline near the roof, connected to
my DMZ via a 10-base-FL link. I lugged a laptop upstairs
and connected the USB cable, and it's all configured now,
thanks for making me revisit the well.
andyw at pobox.com

Andy Warner		Voice: (612) 801-8549	Fax: (208) 575-5634