On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Andy Warner wrote:
> Can you shed some light on the 802.1x/new hardware requirement ? Since
> 802.1x is a port-based authentication scheme that extends it's hooks
> into key management, I'm led to believe that it wouldn't likely need
> new hardware. Isn't Cisco touting 802.1x using their current cards ?

Yeah, they are. But you have to go a Cisco 350-series to get it, from what
I've read.

> 802.11a or 802.11g are new physical layer standards that will require
> new hardware.
>
> I'm not trying to pick an argument here, I think this is the kind of
> clarification that forums like this are great at providing.

Yeah.. I actually know about jack squat about 802.1x; I have just read on
messages from various mailing lists (I believe seattle-dev is the most
active one on this subject) that makes it sound like it's gonna require
new hardware. Could be totally wrong, too; firmware update may be all it
takes. I need time to research on wireless again.. *sighs*

Anyone know for sure, or have the time to do research?  :)