On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Chris Elmquist wrote:
> I think it's primarily an issue of front-end overload.  Whenever you
> Even though they are spread-spectrum, they also have a dynamic range
> which, in order to keep the cost at a point we are still interested
> in, is not what it could be in order to keep out the offending
> signal(s).
>
> You get the same behavior often when trying to run a 2.4 GHz cordless
> phone near your 802.11b stuff.  The phone just knocks the WLAN
> equipment right to zero... even though they are on different
> "channels" and use different spreading sequences, they're in the same
> passband and the poor receiver gets nailed by the nearby transmitter.

I've got 2 separate 2.4ghz phone systems at home, and don't see any
interference with my 2 802.11b AP's.. 'course, the phones are the
frequency-hopping type (FHSS?), so that could be why I don't get
interference there. I also didn't get any interference with either the
phones or the wireless 'net when I turned bluetooth to 'discoverable' on
my phone last night, but that may be because it's not actually putting
anything out.