I was thinking that the Motorola neighborhood system coupled with
traditional 802.11b would work pretty well.

I live in an apartment complex. It would be ideal for a few 802.11b
access points. It certainly would be a lower cost of entry coupled with
enough people together that might make it work.

Also, there are about 4 other apartment complexes within 1 or so.
Its out of reach for standard 802.11b, but the Motorola neighborhood
devices should work.

So, with 5 buildings in my complex, each with 48 units. That's 240
units.
I could probably get 20 or so to sign on.

Multiply that by the 4 other complexes, I would have about 80 users.

So, $2100+500*4 for Motorola
Plus $1000 in access points

That's $5100 for 80 users. Or about $64 + Wireless card per house
startup.

For access, I'd probably get the DSL Business 7mbps plan from Visi (if
available in my area). That's $725 a month.

Split amongst 80 users, that's a little over $9 a month. That's cheaper
than dialup.

Oh wait, just realized, it would be 5 complexes total with approx 100
people. Oh well.

It would mean a sustainable rate of 87500bps if everyone access the
network at full capacity at the same time.