when last we saw our hero (Friday, Jul 26, 2002),
 Austad, Jay was madly tapping out:
> > > I haven't used BGP with it, but with OSPF and RIP, it has
> > > problems.
> > 	well, it's open source, we know what to do. :) buying Cisco
> > 	gear (even used) would probably put the whole affair out of
> > 	the price range of anything but a commercial enterprise.
>
> Yeah, well there are plenty of other manufacturers out there that
> make comparable routers at 1/3 the price of Cisco.  Don't get me
> wrong, I think they make a decent product, but it's way overpriced,
> even with a fat discount.

actually - i've been liking zebra a lot lately.  i've been quite
impressed with the quality of the BGP and OSPF implementations, and
i've got access to routers with really good implementations of both
routing prototols.

> > 	personally, I"m in favor of the "90% solution". knowing that
> > 	the last 10% of performance (speed, reliability, whatever)
> > 	often costs 10x as much, I'm in favor of building something as
> > 	cheaply as reasonable (not necessarily as cheaply as
> > 	possible), that can be grown with better equipment as it
> > 	becomes available.  first let's make it work, then let's make
> > 	it work well. :)
>
> Awww yeah, linux and BSD routers.  :)

running a routing protocol on the gateway for the locations is a very
workable solution and likely the most cost effective given that these
will more likely than not be cheap unix boxen.

the real issue for this deployment is the ability to reach one
location from another. do we have any realistic deployment locations
for p2p links?

steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC