The whole article:

2 Tinkerers Say They've Found a Cheap Way to Broadband

June 10, 2002
By JOHN MARKOFF

CUPERTINO, Calif., June 7 - Anyone looking for the next big thing in
Silicon Valley should stop here at Layne Holt's garage.

Mr. Holt and his business partner, John Furrier, both software
engineers, have started a company with a shoestring budget and an
ambitious target: the cable and phone companies that currently hold a
near-monopoly on high-speed access for the "last mile" between the
Internet and the home.

At the core of their plan is the inexpensive wireless data standard
known as Wi-Fi or 802.11b, which is already shaking up the
communications industry, threatening to undermine the business plans of
cellular phone companies by offering a much cheaper method for mobile
access to the Internet.

The pair's company, known as Etherlinx, has taken the 802.11b standard
and used it to build a system that can transmit Internet data up to 20
miles at high speeds - enough to blanket entire urban regions and make
cable or D.S.L. connections obsolete.

Their secret weapon is a technology known as a "software-designed
radio," which has permitted them to create an inexpensive repeater
antenna that can be attached to the outside of a customer's home. The
device, which the Etherlinx executives said they believe can be built in
quantity for less than $150 each, would communicate with a central
antenna and then convert the signals into the industry-standard Wi-Fi,
or wireless fidelity, signal for reception inside the home.

Because of the staggering costs of wiring the nation's homes for
high-speed networking, only 7 percent, or 7.5 million homes, now have
high-speed Internet access, according to a February report from the
Federal Communications Commission.

The two Etherlinx executives say they have a religious fervor to change
that by making broadband available widely and cheaply.

"We're bandwidth junkies, and I can't imagine a world in which people
don't have broadband," Mr. Furrier said. "That's our mission."

Without venture capital backing, in a garage just six blocks from the
garage where Steven P. Jobs and Stephen Wozniak launched Apple Computer
26 years ago, Mr. Holt is making his clever and inexpensive radio
repeater by modifying  inexpensive Wi-Fi cards, the circuitry that sends
and receives the signals.

Although he has partially broken with the Wi-Fi standard, he argues he
is doing just what the unlicensed radio spectrum was originally set
aside to encourage - innovative wireless network designs.

Mr. Holt, a 54-year-old software designer and engineer who began his
career at the Lockheed Corporation in Sunnyvale, Calif., replaces the
software that supports the Wi-Fi 802.11b standard with his own code,
thereby dramatically extending the range of the cheap, mass-produced
hardware. Each repeater contains two cards - one that Mr. Holt has
enhanced and another that is able to speak the 802.11b standard to a
home computer.

Today, while most of the Wi-Fi industry is working on a more complex
technology known as "mesh routing," which involves lashing together
hundreds or even thousands of short-range transceivers, the Etherlinx
developers believe they have found a crude, cost-effective approach that
is capable of leapfrogging the last-mile problem.

"A French engineer would say this isn't the most elegant solution," Mr.
Furrier said, "but we didn't care about that. We took advantage of these
cheap commodity chips and we just wanted to make it work."

In doing so, they say they believe they not only will be able to skate
around the cable and phone companies but dodge the growing industry
fears of congestion in the unlicensed Wi-Fi radio band, which is also
supporting competing uses such as Bluetooth, an alternative, short-range
wireless standard, as well as some wireless telephones.

"The Wi-Fi industry is heading for a train wreck," Mr. Furrier said.

The Etherlinx technology has been operating in a small for-pay trial in
Oakland, Calif., for a year. The company began trials here last month
using an antenna atop a high-rise building in neighboring Campbell,
Calif., where the company has its corporate offices.

Etherlinx is already beginning to attract serious attention from both
government officials who are interested in last-mile solutions and
corporate executives who believe the lack of high-speed Internet
connections is the biggest obstacle to growth in the computer industry.

"We have a huge incentive to see the last mile open up," said Graham
Wallace, chief executive of Cable and Wireless P.L.C., one of the
world's largest Internet backbone companies.

To attract industry attention, Etherlinx cobbled together a
demonstration antenna on the back of a Jeep Cherokee and took it to an
industry conference in Southern California last month. Parked in front
of the conference hotel, the founders were able to show Intel's chief
executive, Craig R. Barrett, that their technology was capable of
offering Internet access to the entire hotel as well as to the homes on
a ridge behind the conference center.

"I don't think there is a method that has emerged yet as a winner," said
Leslie Vadasz, a veteran Intel executive who heads the company's venture
arm, "but we are talking to these guys. What they have done is a very
smart way of reusing engineering that has been done for other purposes."

Etherlinx began the for-pay trial in Oakland last year after the company
failed to get venture capital in Silicon Valley. The company is now
selling Internet service commercially to about a dozen customers.

"The V.C.'s are licking their wounds and they don't believe us," said
Mr. Furrier, a 36-year-old networking engineer. "That's why we have
taken a go-to-market approach."

So far, the company has been run on about $200,000 in private investment
- far less than the tens of millions of dollars that have been poured
into other Wi-Fi startups.

Etherlinx is not the only company taking new approaches to sending
wireless data over longer distances in the unlicensed portion of the
radio spectrum. The communications and computer industry is now at work
on a second-generation standard known as 802.16, which is intended to
address longer-distance communications challenges.

The latest efforts follow the collapse of an earlier attempt to
establish a commercial wireless industry based on line-of-sight
technology known as the Multipoint Microwave Distribution System, or
M.M.D.S. Giant companies like A T & T, Sprint and WorldCom and startups
like Winstar and Teligent all developed M.M.D.S. service, but they have
either halted development on their systems or declared bankruptcy.

Industry experts said the M.M.D.S. technology failed in part because it
required the receiver to be within sight of the transmitter, but also
because it required expensive installation and a huge upfront investment
to license the spectrum from the government.

"The cost of the license for the spectrum killed them," Mr. Holt said.

Etherlinx is by no means alone in its approach.

Several other companies are also beginning to explore alternatives not
requiring line-of-sight that they believe will be more resistant to
interference and will be easy for customers to install without expensive
on-site help.

Nokia has a research group in Silicon Valley that has been trying to
develop such technologies, and Iospan Wireless Inc. of San Jose, Calif.,
and Navini Networks in Richardson, Tex., are selling products that are
along the lines of the Etherlinx approach.

However, Mr. Furrier said he hoped that speed would outweigh size or
capital in determining the success of a business in the market. In
addition to the company's Oakland trial, Etherlinx is planning to offer
commercial service in Campbell, which is not currently served with
D.S.L., and in wealthy surrounding suburbs such as Los Gatos and
Saratoga.

He argues that the absence of venture funding has actually been an
advantage for his company.

"What we've hit on is a low-cost design point and used our fast design
to get to market first," he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/10/technology/10WIRE.html?ex=1024733835&e
i=1&en=9d93d47f5c1dae4a

HOW TO ADVERTISE
---------------------------------
New York Times on the Web, please contact onlinesales at nytimes.com or
visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help at nytimes.com.

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company

Joel R. Helgeson
Director of Networking & Security Services
SymetriQ Corporation, www.symetriq.com
8500 Normandale Lake Boulevard, Suite 1670
Bloomington, Minnesota 55437-3813
Office: (952) 921-8869
Cell: (651) 270-7521