SpencerUnderground wrote:
> [...]
> yes yes yes. my current radio is an smc2652.; I need to get an external
> antenna mounted in the near future.  Does anyone know off hand the type
> of connector I need for the smc end?  All the same I would like to use

I think it's RP-TNC. These boxes are a little strange, though. I think
there is one external and one internal antenna. You might want to check
by cracking the case open and checking (in which case you can replace
the connector if you want with a N, SMA, whatever) - if I'm right then
you'll need to make sure you can tweak the diversity to aim the
radio at the external connector.

> something  else for this project, like maybe a linux box doing hostAP.

I can recommend that, though don't waste anything with significant
CPU power on it, there are busy loops in the data xfer routines
that'll chew up 40% of a 800MHz cpu.

> I see no reason why we can't skin all cats :-).  I found a couple of
> nodes yesterday with an essid of PARK_01, and they were near a park that
> is close to me!  Maybe someone is already thinking along these lines?

Covering your favourite park is a pretty popular idea, I
know several people who aim antennae & move picnic tables
around so they can work/surf at their local park.
andyw at pobox.com

Andy Warner		Voice: (612) 801-8549	Fax: (208) 575-5634