On Friday (05/03/2002 at 06:28PM -0500), natecars at real-time.com wrote:
> On Fri, 3 May 2002, Andy Warner wrote:
> > Most of the commodity APs out there are all based on one of a series
> > of Atmel designs, there's not a lot to choose between them as a rule
> > (Dlink, SMC, Linksys all fall into this category.)
>
> Note: the new Linksys WAP11 v2.2 is no longer an Atmel design, if I've
> read properly. It's supposed to be much better..

Ah...  my jury is still out.  We have one in the office.  Tips over
about every three days...  total lack of wireless side connectivity when
it goes--
ie, zero signal at all nodes...  yet the wired side is still up and
happy and shows no problems on the status screen.  Have to either
power cycle it or re-apply the setup screen to buy it back.

I've got an engineering contact at Linksys who is supposed to send me
a double-secret BETA firmware upgrade for it next week.  We'll see.

Of course, firmware for the 1.x version does not work on this version.

At this point, I'm offering that it is quite a step down from the
previous generation WAP11.

I have not taken it apart yet so can't confirm or deny whether ATMEL
is inside or not.

Chris

--
Chris Elmquist   mailto:chrise at pobox.com   http://www.pobox.com/~chrise