On Friday (05/10/2002 at 10:29AM -0500), Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> > Yup -- it assumes the built in rubber duckies, which generally have a gain
> > of 0 dBi to 2 dBi. You can get antennas that do 24 dBi for < $100.
> > Remember, dBi isn't a linear scale -- every 3dBi of gain effectivly
> > doubles your power (iirc).
>
> just as a matter of idle curiosity, what's the highest-gain 802.11b antenna
> anyone has ever seen?

there are plenty of hams messing around with moon-bounce on S-band--
using 3, 6 or even 10m dishes.  Of course these aren't particularly
practical for terrestrial work I suppose.

I'd say you're most likely to see a practical, useable, directional
antenna in the 20 to 25 dB range.

> any guesses as to the gain on the Arecibo radio telescope? ;)

74 dB at S-band.  It also has a 1 megawatt S-band transmitter :-)

cje

--
Chris Elmquist   mailto:chrise at pobox.com   http://www.pobox.com/~chrise