On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 09:53:18AM -0500, Nate Carlson wrote:
> On Fri, 10 May 2002, Mike Horwath wrote:
> > Hate to sound like a naysayer, but bandwidth costs money. :(
>
> Never said there wouldn't be a charge for access.
>
> To start with, it'll just be us hobbiests, and I'm sure some of us will be
> willing to give away (semi-legally?) our cable/dsl bandwidth to other real
> geeks.. but, once we start to grow, we'll have to figure out a way to
> charge for it.

And how are you going to 'share' that bandwidth?

Some horrible and massive NAT table and central router?  Sounds like a
bitch to maintain.

A big ass caching proxy server? (which would be very cool).

> > I wish it were free, I would love to give away some.
>
> You _sure_ you don't want to donate 3mbit of that shiny new OC3 to
> tcwug?  It's not like you're even stressing it yet... heck, that'd
> even make it worth turning TCWUG into a real nonprofit so you can
> get a writeoff for it! :)

I don't make those decisions alone.

Also, how would you get 'my' bandwidth?  I am not going to pay for
more roof space (already did that for other projects) and while I
would happily host it out of my home, the T1 costs are still $220/T1
per month.  And being in Golden Valley - who lives around me to
'relay' off of?  Then let's get into the issue that 802.11b doesn't
allow me a nice clean solution for my inhouse wireless, think of how
much interference I'll get if I had a roofmount antenna?

:)

If you guys can find a way to get the bandwidth from 'me', I'll find a
way to donate some.  There will be a big AUP put into place, though,
as I can not stand abuse or theft of services.  This might make some
people shy away because I am a hardass.  So be it.

--
Mike Horwath           IRC: Drechsau         drechsau at Geeks.ORG
Home: 763-540-6815  1901 Sumter Ave N, Golden Valley, MN  55427