setting aside the issues associated with the terms of the lease and
such.  i would like to applaud arnan for stepping up to the plate and
being willing to engage the ham club and tcwug in what i think is
ultimately a very generous offer.  being pragmatic about things i
don't think that there's anything in the terms of the lease offered by
arnan that is draconian - this is standard lease stuff, which
includes holding the leasee responsible for the state of the goods
given that they don't really hold title to the gear in question.

i don't think that it's fair for arnan to lease the gear (at zero
cost) and expect them to pay for the gear to be fixed if something
happens to it.

unfortunately - i believe we've run into the the hurdle that i think
we all saw coming wrt a loose knit group of individuals having an
interest in a particular technology and no formal mechanisms to engage
organizations (read: businesses) that would like to do something good,
like arnan.

despite the best held intentions of the parties involved, there are
times when the needs of both cannot be addressed.  in all fairness i
doubt we (tcwug specifically) are in a position to engage anybody in
such a dialog until we formalize (legally) our organization.

as an aside - it would likely behoove us (tcwug) to come to a good
working arrangement with the gopher radio club to address these
matters in the best (overlapping) interests of the 2 groups.

when last we saw our hero (Tuesday, Oct 08, 2002),
 Chandler Heath was madly tapping out:
> After reading the "Lease" the equipment to be provided shows 10dB
> Omni and 500mW amplifier. Does the Ham Club assume responsibility
> for proper use? The use of a 500mW amp with an Omni is questionable.
>
> Chandler

{ snipped - misc previous correspondence }

steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC