sorry for the delay, here are the meeting notes.

we followed the agenda pretty closely so i'm going to insert the
notes inline with the agenda items.

* introductions / misc. administravia

we had a good turnout for this meeting. several new faces were in
attendance as well as most of the regulars.  couple of points to note
for future meetings.

 - we're researching the options available for creating a legal entity
   for the group in the form of a non/not-for profit entity. this
   looks to be a pretty straightforward endeavor but there are some
   nuances which we may want to make ourselves aware of. mike creglow
   has volunteered/been coaxed into researching the options available
   to the group and the relative merits therein.

 - based on a poll of little / no scientific value there seems to be a
   fair amount of interest in having a topical presentation at the
   beginning of our meeting to provide some more information on topics
   of general interest to the group.  matt's presentation at the
   meeting was the first of these.  andy warner has graciously
   volunteered to do a radio technology primer for october's meeting.

 - we're still activly soliciting input for future sessions like
   these.  if you have an interest in topic that you think would make
   for a good presentation along these lines please speak up.  some of
   the topics we're looking at are listed below

   - antenna design and comparison of application and the relative
     merits of the main antenna types.
   - tools for doing antenna design
   - discussions on outdoor router design

* technical presentation - kismet

 - matt hallacy did a deep dive on kismet and how to make it work.
   advice on configuration and the relative merits of kismet vs. other
   wireless auditing tools was provided as well as a demonstration of
   the various features and potential pitfalls of building and
   configuring kismet.  these meeting notes are not the place to
   describe all that was covered but i understand that matt is working
   on a tutorial and additional information discussing much of this
   for putting online.   matt has also published his maps online [1]
   for folks to peruse.  perusal is encouraged.  i'm sure matt will
   let us know when he's got the documentation online.

* discussion and planning for the moos tower survey.

 - ben kochie and andy warner led a discussion and facilitated the
   planning of the moos tower survey (taking place today).  interested
   parties should contact ben or andy if they want more information or
   want to help out.

 - further discussion was had regarding what other locations we might
   be able to find in order to create a backbone.  folks are
   encouraged to keep on the lookout for locations which might be good
   candidates for the placement of nodes.

items for our next meeting
--------------------------

 - review the results of the moos tower survey and discuss any other
   locations which might have been discovered.

 - there was a lot of additional detail which was discussed which
   these meeting notes will never be able to elicit.  the suggestion
   was made to record the meetings to insure that folks can catch up
   on what was discussed.

   to that end arragements have been made to record subsequent
   meetings.  we hope to get these online for folks to download.

steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC