On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 12:57:52PM -0500, Andy Warner wrote:

> Thanks for doing the somewhat thankless task of collating the
> info and making the maps, Matt. I have, however, noticed a slight
> inconsistancy in the posted maps. The SE corner of the moos6 coverage
> seems to move from Hwy5 & 35W (moos-survey1.png) to Hwy5 and Randolph
> (moos-survey4.png.) I'm interested in what kind of connectivity was
> achieved at this location (whichever it is.) The effect of that
> corner of the coverage envelope adds several square miles to the
> actual coverage area (moos-survey3.png.)

After re-reading that a few times, and looking at the maps, I see now
what you're talking about.. basicly when making maps with kismet, it
takes all the data points, averages out the range, and draws a circle.
this leads to data points outside of that circle existing (ie, it doesn't
just plot the edges of the range at the outermost datapoints), in
moos-survey4 it's putting points at the outermost datapoints (hull map)
which gives you a better idea of what the actual range is (based on what
the datapoints actually were, not guestimating)

You can see in moos-survey6-6 that the datapoints on highway 5 were very
few, unfortunately this is because I drove a little bit before I noticed
the laptop had locked up (again) from overheating (check out the gap
between those datapoints and Hwy 149 south of the river on moos-survey2,
you can see the long-ish break in the driving track =/)

I would like to do another survey soon, but before we do it i'd like
to run through a quick check on everyones system and help out anyone
that needs help. perhaps this is where my mini distro can come in handy..

I'd also like to go out further, to the higher points on the map
(moos-topo.png)