Chuck Cole wrote:

> Estimating path loss will indicate how feasible this may be.  Some handbooks
> have graphs for this.  The transmitter power is radiated into the solid
> angle of the antenna pattern and is received by the area of the next
> antenna.  Assume that the passive link has zero dB loss.  Then the next
> segment has an area loss also.  The loss for the longer segment alone looks
> like more than 60dB, or around 80dB overall.  I don't know what the receiver
> requires as signal level, but it might be -120dBm.  With all these

Assuming that Joel is thinking of using Aironet stuff, Cisco claims the following:

	1 Mbps: -94 dBm
	2 Mbps: -91dBm
	5.5 Mbps: -89 dBm
	11 Mbps: -85 dBm

(source: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/witc/ao350ap/prodlit/a350a_ds.htm)

So, for a 20dB output radio, you've got a total link budget
of 105dB to maintain 11 Megs. Add a fudge factor of at least 10dB
and you've got 95dB of budget to deal with.

Might work, might not - only one way to really tell :) Certainly
no way for us armchair critics to tell with greater certainty from
the data provided.
andyw at pobox.com

Andy Warner		Voice: (612) 801-8549	Fax: (208) 575-5634