matt, et al -

i think that a course of reasonableness can be struck here that
provides benefits for both the gopher amateur radio club
(GARC) and TCWUG.  if the goals and the capabilities of the GARC are
such that they can place a node on the top of moos tower and
interconnect it with other nodes in the twin cities then these are
good things. more power to them.

if an arrangement of traffic sharing can be established between the
groups and traffic routed between the two networks this is a good
thing as well.  these are not necessarily mutually exclusive goals.

it strikes me that it is up to the TCWUG to develop nodes and deploy
them within the twin cities and where applicable partner with other
groups to achieve common goals.

as i understood it the last time we all (TCWUG) discussed what the
group goals were they broke down in to a couple of lines of interest.

 - folks interested in building an overlay for the purpose of moving
 IP traffic around the twin cities w/o the need for external
 infrastructure (read: wireline)

 - folks interested in coordinated hot spot deployments.  common
 authentications scheme, shared utilization, etc.

 - folks just interested in learning about the technology and hanging
 out.

it strikes me that instead of "arguing" (i use the term loosely) about
TCWUG access it might be a good thing for the TCWUG group to work to
create something which would be of value and worthy of peering with.

let's not look a gift horse in the mouth in terms of the moos oppty.
but take it as an opportunity to extend and build something of value.
this seems to be a good topic for discussion saturday.

when last we saw our hero (Tuesday, Oct 15, 2002),
 mgenelin at ieee.umn.edu was madly tapping out:
> Hey Chuck (and gang)--
>
> It's obvious to me that a number of months ago when Ben and I
> pitched this project to the TC-WUG group, noone ever explained the
> underlaying ideas on the mailing list. So, for those who don't show
> at the meetings it's easy to get lost. (See: me.)
>
> So -- would someone like to summarlize the base idea and goals of
> where the project started? Perhaps Ben? Perhaps Steve? I apologise
> for leaving the list-readers (e.g. myself) out in the cold when we
> began the project.  It must be mighty confusing (See: Chuck) for
> people who are reading the project activities half way into the
> project. Again, my sincerest apologies for all the confusion.

{ snipped - misc .signatures }

{ snipped - misc previous correspondence }

steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC