On Friday, August 8, 2003, at 09:42  PM, Mike Ellsworth wrote:

> Does anybody know the secret of getting a PC and a Mac to share an
> Airport AP (an old one, one of the first) with security on? I tried
> giving the AP a 13-character (104 bit) password, and the Mac worked
> fine, but the PC didn’t. Both worked fine without the password. The
> documentation is maddeningly brief.

If your AirPort base station is graphite in color, it can only do 40
bit WEP.  If it is snow in color, then it can do 128 bit WEP.  IIRC,
the AirPort Admin Utility for Windows can only administer the Snow base
station, as well as the AirPort Extreme 802.11g base station.  I
believe there is a java based configuration utility for Windows that
can admin the original graphite AirPort base station.

Otherwise, if you have access to a Mac, the AirPort Admin Utility can
handle any of the base station models.  The place to go to get the Hex
equivalent is under the "Base Station" menu, "Equivalent Network
Password".  I am pretty sure that the password used by Macs to do WEP
is not the straight Hex passphrase, but I could be mistaken.

cheers!

--
Ted Rattei
ted at rattei.org