when last we saw our hero (Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003),
 Mike Ellsworth was madly tapping out:
> Does anyone know of a decent authentication scheme that will work with
> everything? The ones I know about require either specific hardware, or some
> kind of client install. I'm not opposed to a minimal client install, but
> would prefer something that requires nothing and works with Windows, Mac,
> and Linux. I'm thinking it's too early for 802.1x.

the only mechanism(s) that will reliably work across all of the above
platforms w/nominal client install would be pppoe and ipsec (available
for all of the aforementioned platforms).  if you really don't want a
client install, you might consider using a web based portal
authentication package ala nocatauth[1]. such a package will simply
redirect traffic until some level of authentication takes place and
then punch the appropriate holes in the firewall.

{ snipped - misc previous correspondence }

references
[1] http://www.nocat.net

steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC