>Considering that most of these stock devices are no more than +17 dbm (50
>milliwatts) and that there will probably be 3-4 db or more of loss in the
>coax from the WiFi bridge to the antenna which brings the system down to
>10db or less of gain (about 10x or 500mw/.5 watt) at the antenna and even if
>the someone is right against the antenna it is still putting out 100mw less
>than that cell phone everyone holds against their head which runs in the
>1.9GHz band.  The time domain microwave heating effects of 1.9 and 2.4 GHz
>on flesh are effectively indistinguishable.  Phones are held against most
>heads for very long periods of time.

Or even regular cordless phones on 900 or 2.4ghz bands.  However I don't
think I'd want a 24dbi dish aimed at myself for extended periods of time,
just in case there is something to the EMF field risks.  Makes me wonder
what field strengths near high-tension power lines are, or in homes near
to them.  Some people claim even a clock near your bed is dangerous to
your health due to it's EMF emissions and the time that you spend near it.
A big deal used to be made of monitor/CRT EMF emissions such that
several standards were created in Sweden regarding these emissions.

Generally, though, I don't think I'm worried about standard wifi APs with
their built in antennas.  With higher gain antennas, the considerations
become more serious.  Where you want to draw the safety line is matter
of personal preference (like bungee jumpers vs. couch potatoes).

"If you're reading this, read it again."