oreilly and associated UG newsletter - enjoy...

O'Reilly User Group Program
Newsletter
June 27, 2003

Please share this information with your members...

Highlights This Week:
Book News
-Linux in a Nutshell, 4th Edition
-Secure Coding: Principles & Practices
-Perl 6 Essentials
-Tomcat: The Definitive Guide
-Google Pocket Guide
Upcoming Events
-Applied XML Developers Conference 2003 West, Portland, OR--Jul 10-11
-MacWorld CreativePro, New York, NY--Jul 14-18
Conferences
-Powell's Technical Bookstore Open House--July 10, 7-9pm
-Extracurricular Activities at OSCON
Safari
-"Go On Safari" Tip of the Week Winner--Tony King, Chicago.pm
News
-O'Reilly in a Nutshell--Tim O'Reilly interview on Apple.com
-Put Up an O'Reilly ThinkGeek Banner, Get A Free Book
-O'Reilly Hits Milestone on Bookshare.org
-Need a Free Exhibit Guest Pass for LinuxWorld in San Francisco?
-Secure Cooking with Linux
-An Interview with George Dyson
-Top Ten Tomcat Configuration Tips
-Using Delegates to Implement Event Handling
-How (Not) to Grow a Technology
-Developer Notes from WWDC
-Top Ten Digital Video Tips
News From Your Peers
Join the Linux Users' Group of Davis for a Special Meeting,
Davis, CA--July 21

Book News
Review books are available--email me for a copy.

***Please include the book order number on your requests.

Let me know if you need your books by a certain date.
Allow at least four weeks for shipping.
Send or email me copies of your newsletters and book reviews.

Don't forget, your members get 20% off any O'Reilly book they purchase
directly from O'Reilly. Just use code DSUG when ordering.
http://www.oreilly.com/

***Group purchases with better discounts are available***
Please let me know if you are interested.

Press releases are available on our press page:
http://press.oreilly.com/

***Linux in a Nutshell, 4th Edition
Order Number: 4826
"Linux in a Nutshell, 4th Edition" is an essential desktop reference
for the commands that Linux users need every day. The book covers all
substantial user, programming, administration, and networking commands
for the most common Linux distributions. It's several quick references
rolled into one: sed, gawk, RCS, CVS, vi, Emacs, bash, tcsh, regular
expressions, package management, bootloaders, and desktop environments
are all covered, along with core command-line utilities. You get it all
in this concise and comprehensive volume.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxnut4/

Chapter 5, "Red Hat and Debian Package Managers," is available online:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxnut4/chapter/index.html

***Secure Coding: Principles & Practices
Order Number: 2424
Nearly all attacks on computer systems have one fundamental cause:
insecure code. Flaws in design, implementation, testing, and operations
allow all too easy access for attackers. This book looks at the problem
of bad code in a new way. Packed with advice based on decades of
experience in computer security, "Secure Coding" explains why so much
code today is filled with vulnerabilities, and tells readers what they
must do to avoid exploitation by attackers.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/securecdng/

Chapter 1, "No Straight Thing," is available online:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/securecdng/chapter/index.html

***Perl 6 Essentials
Order Number: 4990
"Perl 6 Essentials" is the first book to offer a peek into the next
major version of the Perl language. It covers the development of Perl 6
syntax as well as Parrot, the language-independent interpreter
developed as part of the Perl 6 design strategy. This book is essential
reading for anyone interested in the future of Perl. It will satisfy
your curiosity and show you how changes in the language will make Perl
more powerful and easier to use.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perl6es/

Chapter 1, "Project Overview," is available online:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perl6es/chapter/index.html

***Tomcat: The Definitive Guide
Order Number: 3188
"Tomcat: The Definitive Guide" offers something for everyone who uses
Tomcat, from system and network administrators who will find detailed
instructions on installation, configuration, and maintenance to
seasoned enterprise Java developers who will have a complete reference
for setting up, running, and using this powerful software. The book
covers all major platforms, contains details on Tomcat configuration
files, and even has a quick-start guide to get developers up and
running with Java servlets and JavaServer Pages
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/tomcat/

Chapter 6, "Tomcat Security," is available online:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/tomcat/chapter/index.html

***Google Pocket Guide
Order Number: 5504
"Google Pocket Guide" unleashes the power behind that blinking curser
by delivering a thorough, concise tour of Google's features. You'll
find practical examples to inspire going beyond the basic keyword
search; secrets for constructing more powerful queries using Google's
special syntax; and tips on understanding and refining the results
Google provides. Crafted from our best-selling "Google Hacks" title,
"Google Pocket Guide" provides exactly the information you need to make
your searches faster and more effective.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/googlepg/

Sample Excerpts on "Google Basics," "Froogle," and "Consulting the
Dictionary" are available online:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/googlepg/chapter/index.html
Upcoming Events
***For more events, please see:
http://events.oreilly.com/

***Applied XML Developers Conference 2003 West, Portland Area, OR--Jul 10-11
Editor and author Brian Jepson ("Learning Unix for Mac OS X" and "Mac
OS X for Unix Geeks") presents "Web Services in your Pocket" at this
event.
http://www.sellsbrothers.com/conference/

Applied XML Developers Conference 2003 West
Greenwood Inn
10700 SW Allen Boulevard
Beaverton, OR 97005
(503) 643-7444

***MacWorld CreativePro. New York, NY--Jul 14-18
O'Reilly's got lots of Mac going on--see our latest offerings in the
Big Apple. Drop by our booth in the Expo Hall (it's #322) and catch
iMovie and iPhoto presentations from authors David Pogue ("Missing
Manual" Series) and Derrick Story ("iPhoto 2: The Missing Manual" and
"Digital Photography Pocket Guide").
http://www.macworldexpo.com/macworld2003/V40/index.cvn?

MacWorld CreativePro
The Javits Center
655 West 34th Street
New York, NY 10001
212-216-2000
http://www.javitscenter.com/content/guide/here/main.htm
Conference News
***Powell's Technical Bookstore Open House--July 10, 7-9 pm
Peruse a vast selection of technical books at one of the world's best
bookstores. Flash your OSCON badge to receive 10% off every book in
stock. Attention Trekkies: Wil Wheaton is coming to OSCON, and will be
signing copies of his new book, "Dancing Barefoot," during this event
at Powell's.
Powell's Technical Books
Thursday Night, July 10, 7-9 pm
33 NW Park Avenue
Portland, OR 97209
http://wwww.powells.com/calendar.html#OSCON

***Extracurricular Activities at OSCON
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/pub/w/23/events.html?

There is still time to register. User Group Members--use code DSUG when
you register and you'll get 20% off the conference pricing.

To register, go to:
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/os2003/create/ord_os03

O'Reilly Open Source Convention
Portland Marriott Downtown,
Portland, OR
July 7-11, 2003
http://conferences.oreilly.com/oscon/
Safari News
***"Go On Safari" Tip of the Week Winner--Tony King, Chicago.pm
"I just signed-up for Safari a couple of days ago as they are having a
free 14-day trial offer. I've been reviewing it for my office and it's
a very good reference tool. While I wouldn't want to read a whole book
online, it beats the price of having to purchase those books
individually and having that many technical books at the click of a
mouse can't be beat."

Your group can also participate in this introductory program just for
user group members. To "Go on Safari," any of your members who sign up
for our Safari 14-day free trial can send comments on their
experiences, or tips and tricks for how they used Safari  (it only
needs to be 2 sentences long, but it may be longer) to
safari_talk at oreilly.com.
(Please include your UG name in the email.)

Every week someone will be chosen from the tips or comments submitted
to receive fun stuff from O'Reilly (T-shirts, book bags, or other
surprises). If a member of your user group is selected, your group
receives free gifts, too. Whatever the individual member receives, your
UG will get one, too, to give away at your next meeting, or use however
you see fit. Recipients--and their comments--will be announced in the
User Group Newsletter.

**Please use this special UG URL to sign up for the 14-day trial**
http://www.oreilly.com/safari/ug

For more information on Safari:
http://safari.oreilly.com/
News From O'Reilly & Beyond
---------------------
General News
---------------------
***O'Reilly in a Nutshell--Tim O'Reilly interview on Apple.com
"My business thrives when the industry is interesting," says O'Reilly &
Associates founder and president.
http://www.apple.com/pro/

***Put Up an O'Reilly ThinkGeek Banner, Get A Free Book
We are looking for user groups to display our ThinkGeek banners on
their web sites. If you send me the link to your user group site with
one of our O'Reilly ThinkGeek banners, I will send you the O'Reilly
book of your choice.

O'Reilly ThinkGeek Banners:
http://ug.oreilly.com/banners/thinkgeek/

***O'Reilly Hits Milestone on Bookshare.org
There are now more than 100 O'Reilly titles available for blind and
visually impaired readers on Bookshare.org, an online community that
enables book scans to be shared.
http://www.bookshare.org/web/Welcome.html

Check out the complete list of O'Reilly titles on Bookshare.org:
http://www.bookshare.org/web/BooksOreilly.html
---------------------
Open Source
---------------------
***Need a Free Exhibits Only Pass for LinuxWorld August 5-7
in San Francisco, CA?
You can register online with priority code LWEXH on or before
June 30, 2003 at:
http://www.linuxworldexpo.com/

Or I can send you some free passes to bring onsite at the event
--just let me know.

***Secure Cooking with Linux
Learn how to authenticate by public key, encrypt backups, and combine
log files in this first of three sets of recipes selected by the
authors of "Linux Security Cookbook."
http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/excerpt/lsckbk_chap1/index1.html

Linux Security Cookbook
Order Number: 3919
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxsckbk/

***An Interview with George Dyson
In this interview with chromatic, George Dyson talks about his upcoming
OSCON keynote in which he'll explore the pioneering work in computation
and computational biology at the Institute for Advanced Study, drawing
parallels between that world and open source development.
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2003/06/17/dyson.html

Hear Dyson speak in July at the O'Reilly Open Source Convention:
http://conferences.oreilly.com/oscon/
---------------------
Java
---------------------
***Top Ten Tomcat Configuration Tips
How can you configure Tomcat to do what you want it to do? Jason
Brittain, coauthor of O'Reilly's "Tomcat: The Definitive Guide,"
provides tips and configuration examples that cover frequently asked
questions from newbies about configuring Jakarta Tomcat.
http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2003/06/25/tomcat_tips.html

Tomcat: The Definitive Guide
Order Number: 3188
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/tomcat/
---------------------
.NET
---------------------
***Using Delegates to Implement Event Handling
In this article, Jesse Liberty focuses on how delegates are used to
implement event handling, with a look at the implementation of a custom
event.
http://www.ondotnet.com/pub/a/dotnet/2003/06/23/progCsharp3.html

Jesse is the author of the recently released "Programming C#, 3rd
Edition."
Order Number: 4893
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/progcsharp3/
---------------------
XML
---------------------
***How (Not) to Grow a Technology
Grassroots chaos or death-by-committee? The choice is yours. Kendall
Clark looks at strategies for growing XML technologies.
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/06/25/deviant.html
---------------------
Mac
---------------------
***Developer Notes from WWDC
After the keynote, press releases, and standing-room-only sessions,
developers at WWDC process their impressions through conversation and
note comparison. Here's what some of them have to say.
http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/06/24/wwdc_2003.html

***Top Ten Digital Video Tips
Unless the guy next door happens to be Steven Soderbergh, you'll
probably have a hard time getting good advice about how to master your
DV camcorder. Yes, you can pore over each dryly composed paragraph in
your multilanguage owner's manual, but chances are all that will
improve is your French. Instead, check out these ten handy tips that
will transform your ho-hum footage into compelling video.
http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/06/13/dv_tips.html

Derrick Story is the author of the upcoming "Digital Video Pocket
Guide"
Order Number: 5237
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dvideopg/

News From Your Peers
***Join the Linux Users' Group of Davis for a Special Meeting,
Davis, CA--July 21
Seth David Schoen, Electronic Frontier Foundation, will be speaking
about "The Empire Strikes Back: Constraining Free Software
Development." He will review the story of the DVD Wars, the broader
debates over copyright policy, and current regulatory initiatives. He
will also discuss new technologies such as software-defined radio and
trusted computing, and emphasize that free software's future is far
from assured.
http://www.lugod.org/meeting/upcoming/

Until next time--

Marsee

steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC