On Jan 19, 2004, at 10:03 AM, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

> On 01/16 02:06 , Leif Pihl wrote:
>>    Now or Future?:  {Status of: 802.11 v. 802.16 v. 802.20}
>>    (2) I know that:  one or both are supposed to provide for much
>> longer
>>    distances,  one is more suited to transmissions while in motion
>> and
>>    one will probably come to market faster because it's a variation
>> on an
>>    already existing protocol.
>>
>>    That's _IT_.  What I do not have is any real-world knowledge of
>> what's
>>    actually available now or in the near future, and how this
>> technology
>>    could affect my purchasing decisions.
>>
>>    - What is the current and near-term status of 802.16 and 802.20?
>

> I've never heard of them before, and they sound like some company's
> proprietary 'standards', which no one else will use. ;)

by way of an fyi - if it has the 802 designator, you might want to
check out the IEEE web site.  there are actually working groups which
have these designations and by way of an FYI, they typically have nerds
from a variety of vendors.

candidly, i haven't been following either of these groups too closely.
if you're interested in getting updates on what's going on in them,
here are some useful URLs.

802.16 - wireless MAN technologies.  more akin to what the WUG is
interested in doing.  supports both licensed and unlicensed portions of
the spectrum and makes some provisions for "L2" centric QoS  iirc.

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/16/index.html

802.20 - mobile broadband wireless, targeting licensed spectrum <3.5Ghz
w/speeds in the 1Mbit+ range and support for moving users.

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/20/index.html

> My advice is to treat wireless gear like any other technology gear.
> Buy it
> when you need it; not before, not afterwards.

{snipped - misc. signatures}

steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC