On Jan 28, 2004, at 10:25 AM, Goober wrote:

> I would assume then, that cisco might just be sharing some software
> coders
> with linksys? Yes, they're not cisco radios, but they sure price some
> stuff as if they were. :P

i believe that those would be erroneous assumptions.

the discerning and/or sober buyer will note that you can purchase a
linksys wrt54g for $80 which gives you a 4 port 10/100 switch, a
100mbit uplink and a 54g AP.  the software is open source and is
available for download from the linksys site. (GPL issues which have
now been resolved, aside.) additionally, there are folks making their
own versions of the firmware.

the 1100 AP which is either B or G and doesn't include a 4 port switch,
runs IOS and has a totally different and far more advanced feature set.
throw in a  far better RF deck and a list price of $599 and i'm not
sure how you can draw the parallel.

my 1100 blows the "socks" off my 54g, there's a reason i have one vs.
another. ;-)

> On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, steve ulrich wrote:
>
>> not quite.
>>
>> linksys makes the consumer grade gear.  there's a definite difference
>> in the caliber of the hardware and the software between the two
>> families.  linksys is a wholly owned subsidiary of cisco that makes
>> consumer products.  they share a logo.
>>

>> On Jan 27, 2004, at 6:22 PM, Goober wrote:
>>
>>> Linksys is Cisco these days.

{snipped - misc signatures}

{snipped - misc signatures}

steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC