Rob said they're using Breezecom gear, and I myself saw one installation at
a small company in the western metro area using Breezecom gear.  My
experience with Breezecom APs and PCMCIA nics is that they are 802.11
(original) maxing out around 3mbps.  802.11 original uses DSSS or FHSS
(Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum), 802.11b uses DSSS and 802.11g uses
OFDM.  The Breezecom system used the 802.11 FHSS method, which is
incompatible with DSSS equipment.  As FHSS isn't used by 802.11b, it means
that there are very few wireless cards that can talk to the Stonebridge
system or even detect it for that matter.  Even if they don't have
encrypted links, they have decent security-thru-obscurity, at least from
the run-of-the-mill wireless wardrivers.

What kind of prices were they offering?

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/8/802_11.html
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wireless/2001/03/02/802.11b_facts.html

At 07:19 PM 9/13/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>I asked about the Stonebridge service and barfed before the rep finished
telling me about all the fees and restrictions.  The web
>site has little or no technical info or prices.
>
>It's only a home or business service that uses WiFi.  It is NOT also a
WiFi service that allows roaming around town.  Being a
>subscriber does not enable you to use a laptop with WiFi and roam about in
their service area.

>An installation typically requires a special outside directional antenna
and a CAT5 connection from that to your router, whatever
>that may be (ie, wired and/or wireless for your site).
>
>Their coverage maps look good: they seem to cover most of the greater Twin
Cities metro and outskirts already.

>You pay an installation charge but may not own the equipment (barfed
before getting all details here).
>* it's not ordinary 802.11b.  Might be encrupted 802.11b however.
>* Apparently, they use an antenna that has their wireless card built
into/onto the antenna.
>* CAT5 cable runs from the antenna to your router vicinity,
>   where they place a "converter" that supplies power to the antenns via
the CAT5 cable.

>Residential rates are based upon a usage profile or maybe even metered
usage.  I really barfed when their rep started asking whether
>I would use the service more than 4 hours during the day.  He seemed to
have begun telling me of several residential usage levels
>with corresponding prices.
>
>My patience was too thin for this.  Maybe it makes sense, but the lack of
solid info on the web site and the poor info by the rep
>killed my patience to find out this week.  Seems like vaporware or a
"service" one couldn't trust at all... etc.  YMMV.