I have had clicking/popping issues with both 900 mhz and 2.4 ghz phones.
It all comes down to the level of competing interference in your area.  You
could probably use a 2.4ghz phone as long as it was labeled as
wifi-friendly (I've seen some) and as long as you kept the phone base away
from your AP.  Or to get really fancy get one of those Cisco cordless
SIP/Wifi phones that can use your WLAN directly.  They look a lot like a
cell phone and I think they're only a few hundred dollars... ;)