Jon,

Thanks for that post. It echoes my sentiments exactly. The digital
divide is a harsh reality, and a classic example of a market failure
where government action, whether in the form of direct services or
incentives to the private sector, is absolutely appropriate.

This is not about beating up on big bad evil corporations. No
corporation is inherently evil. But when bottom-line concerns trump the
public good, such as when telcos' or cable providers' monopolistic
practices actually stifle innovation and competition, government should
step in to make sure business plays fairly (and competitively) and
underserved communities get the services they deserve. The libertarians
among us should be more concerned about large corporations stifling
competition and innovation, which is what the Pennsylvania law does,
than they should about taxpayer dollars going to support greater
innovation and competition.

--
Leif Utne
Associate Editor, Utne Magazine