I would have to agree with Tom regarding Chuck's reaction to a public,
decentralized, mesh-network.  I'm entirely willing to give some of my
bandwidth up for free; I'm paying for it.  I don't expect to make money
on it.  I know that there are some college students in nearby house that
are probably leeching off me anyway.

Failover for loss of my upstream is a very good reason to adopt
community mesh-networking.  If there was another person in the
neighborhood willing to provide upstream, and enough people using the
mesh networking protocol, should my upstream go down, we could still get
out to the internet.  I don't know why this would be a bad thing.

Anyway, still interested in pursuing this.

Chad