Peter Fleck wrote:
> Tom - This could be a valid proposal for the Digital Inclusion Fund
> group. It would need a nonprofit to propose it or act as a fiscal
> agent. Right now, there is no date set for a grant cycle.
>
> On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 8:34 AM, Tom Poe<tompoe at fngi.net> wrote:
>
>> Peter Fleck wrote:
>>
>>> - - - snip - - -
>>> So one idea would be to (un)wire the Cedar Riverside high rises and
>>> construct a WAN for residents, focusing on the Somali population. No
>>> Internet. This would likely require funding and nonprofit involvement.
>>> I don't see that as a big problem, you just get yourself a fiscal
>>> agent. The local Freegeek/TC Open Circuit group is in the process of
>>> becoming a 501C3 and might be interested.
>>>
>>> Good to see this list active again.
>>>
>>> Peter
>>>

>> Interesting idea, if I understand what you're saying.  Unfortunately, I am a
>> disadvantaged computer user.  Been struggling for days with trying to
>> understand how to properly set up a home network and assign IP's to two
>> computer boxes.
>>
>> Assumptions:
>> A WAN would establish an effective local broadband infrastructure for the
>> high rises.
>> There would initially be no Internet access.
>>
>> Vision:
>> This infrastructure could support communications between residents of the
>> network, computer to computer.  If one of the computers was set up as a
>> server on an intranet, it might provide a virtual world application like
>> Sun's Wonderland virtual world (open source).  Residents would then be able
>> to have a virtual venue that includes individual as well as group
>> activities.
>> At this level, I suspect the local broadband infrastructure becomes
>> attractive to ISP providers, telco/cableco incumbents, hospitals, grocery
>> stores, newspapers, city services, etc., who might want to gain access to
>> the network in exchange for reasonable wholesale Internet access pricing for
>> the residents.
>>
>> The social and educational enhancement from having a WAN, or local broadband
>> infrastructure seems obvious to me.
>> Peter, is any of the above in line with what your committee is set up to
>> explore?  Have you had any contact with the folks at St Paul College, or
>> possibly some group at the University?
>> http://blogs.sun.com/wonderland/entry/st_paul_college_open_virtual
>> Tom

Peter:  A proposal might be a good starting point for further
discussion.  It would also be a good way to coordinate groups and
organizations.  I could put together a draft and cover letter for
starting the discussion.  Can you point me to your guidelines for
submitting proposals?  As there's every reason to believe that
Broadband Technology Opportunities Program (BTOP), which will be
administered by the NTIA; and the Broadband Initiatives Program (BIP),
which will be administered by the USDA, will participate at some level,
the opportunity to attract your Digital Inclusion Fund is really
appreciated.

I contacted the Free Geek group, earlier, to see what their legal status
is.
Thanks, Tom

Disclaimer:  I am a Vietnam veteran living on a small VA pension in
north-central Iowa.  My pension requires I not accept any outside income
of any sort.  If I do, I forfeit my rights.  With that in mind, any time
and effort on this idea is strictly voluntary.