(ASCEND) Giving it the boot

> ------------------------------
>
> From: Jim Howard <jhoward@lyceum.com>
> Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 13:21:07 -0500
> Subject: Re: (ASCEND) MAX reboot period?
>
> At 16:45 1998/02/02 -0800, you wrote:
> >Do any of you MAX administrators reboot the box periodically?  We have some
> >boxes that have been up for over 2 months without any reboot.  Will this
> >cause degrade in performance or possible crash?
>
> Stephen,
> You're lucky, mine usually reboot themselves long before two months ;^)
>
> It _shouldn't_ hurt anything to reboot when there are not problems.
> I have a weekly scheduled down time to reboot anything that needs it,
> although I havn't been rebooting Maxes lately,
> so that I can compare uptimes with 5.0ai13/5.0ap36/6.0b1&2.

I don't agree -- except on a trivial network rebooting a router can cause
network instability -- and it probably won't have any positive benefit.
Although our Ascend routers fail every 1-3 days, rebooting them hasn't
prevented the problems from occuring just as regularly.

Mike Berger
Shouting Ground Technologies, Inc.
direwolf@shout.net