Re: (ASCEND) Who runs IDSL ?!?

On Tue, Feb 03, 1998 at 08:48:04PM -0500, Jim Howard wrote:

> >> Yes.
>
> >the trunk group. But i can only use digites 4 to 9... hmm i need one for
> >my E1 Ports (normalle this is 9 by default)., So i have Trunk Groups 4 to
> >8... hmmm how can i get 8 Ports working with that...
>
> will it work if you set all IDSL ports to the same trunk group?

Probably not. The reason for this somewhat strange setup is likely that
he uses "SPV", an old and abandoned feature of the german Telekom (-T--)
which dedicates an S0 to a destination when you dial a certain number.
This was cheaper than dialing with a normal S0, and cheaper than getting
a real nailed S0, so it was used intensely in Germany. With the advent
of DSS1 the -T-- dropped this feature but some people still use it. For
them, the trunk group limit is a real problem. The only other reason
for this setup that I could think off is that certain S0 go to different
telco carriers (Yeah ! We finally got -T-- out of the monopoly over here ;),
or are a private infrastructure alltogether. If IDSL is the next situation
where one has to use trunk groups to separate lines it will indeed become
necessary to increase the number of available ones.

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck (ABPSoft) beck@ibh-dd.de XLink PoP Dresden | o |