(ASCEND) willing but able?

> ------------------------------
>
> From: MegaZone <megazone@livingston.com>
> Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 21:46:16 -0800 (PST)
> Subject: Re: (ASCEND) Woopeee... 56k ITU Decision (fwd)
>
> Sure - but as others have said users have a tendency to NOT upgrade.
> So if you have hundreds or thousands of users with K56flex modems are
> you just going to order them all to upgrade or else?  Especially if you
> have competition willing to keep their servers compatible.
>
> - -MZ

You bet.  If our competitors want to get new equipment every time
one of the modem manufacturers deigns to offer a proprietary intermediate
short-lived protocol, we're happy to watch them waste their money.  It'd
be cheaper to give new modems to the few clients that feel cheated.
How many ISP's do you think have thousands of users with K56Fkex modems
that will refuse to upgrade yet insist that the ISP fix it for them?

Our customer base is happy to have good, reliable service, and we let them
know up front that any support for non-standard protocols is tenuous
at best.

Mike Berger
Shouting Ground Technologies, Inc.