Re: (ASCEND) STAC Compression?

When I got here every possible type of compression was turned off.  The
majority of our service is dedicated and dial up ISDN and you get very
little performance increase on those types of links with VJ.  So, the
person before me turned it off, and in doing so got rid of a couple of
stability problems (by turning off both VJ and STAC).  So, we leave them
both off by default now, and have seen very little need for them.

All our customers still report their service is as fast as ever, and
v.42bis takes up most if not all of the slack for modem users since it
compresses all of the data it sends, regardless if it's IP headers or the
payload.  Since most IP headers stay the same for each packet, then the
remote boxes should be fine.  However, I wouldn't bet my life that a fully
loaded MAX4000 would be able to keep up, especially if it's running
stacking and OSPF.

Regards,
Joe Shaw - jshaw@insync.net
NetAdmin - Insync Internet Services