Re: (ASCEND) STAC Compression?

On Tue, Feb 17, 1998 at 04:04:55PM -0800, Laurent Saehyun Kim wrote:

> One of our customers has Symplex router and he was asking about STAC
> compression.  Does Max4004 support STAC compression?  If so, how do I go
> about enabling it?

The Max actually supports 3 different kinds of Stac LZS implementation:

1) Stac		(Ascend native version)
2) Stac-9	(Draft 9 version aka RFC1974)
3) MS-Stac	(Mickeysoft MCPP or such aka RFC2118)

The real question is what the peer speaks. I would try Stac-9 first, then
MS-Stac, then Stac. If nothing works you may have found YAPSI (yet another
proprietary Stac implementation), but chances are that any decent device
supports RFC1974.

BTW, is 1) documented anywhere ? Is it the extended LZS that was RFC'ed
by Adtran ? Or Ascend internal use only ?

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck (ABPSoft) beck@ibh-dd.de XLink PoP Dresden | o |

Follow-Ups: References: