(ASCEND) [Q] MAX 4048 and radius accounting - reports new session every minute

Greetings.
I have a peculiar situation that probably has an easy fix - any advice is
welcomed.

I am authenticating PPP connections for a MAX 4048 against USR
Security/Accounting softward.  The accounting software receives accounting
packets every few seconds from the MAX while a session is active - which
seems normal.  It is, however, interpreting the packets as "new" sessions.
That is, in accounting reports, my USR software thinks that each packet
represents a new connection.

If I am online for an hour, my USR software reports that I've logged on 100
to 150 times etc.

Is there a setting on the MAX that I am overlooking or mis-interpreting?  I
don't have this problem with my USR Chassis but, obviously, the user
interface is considerably different.

Any help - even in the form of "you idiot, RTFM - page XX" would be
welcomed.  Thanks.

Tracy Hinshaw, DWX