Re: (ASCEND) Fair Trade

What we did was very simple.  First we define unlimited service as "you can
be on as often as you want for as long as you want PROVIDED you are
actually sitting in front of the computer".  We state very clearly that
unlimited service does not mean the right to stay on 24/7.  Second, anyone
who can't follow this simple rule loses their account.  In three years, we
have never had to terminate an account although we have had to point out to
some people that they were staying connected 24+ hours.

We've never had to argue with anyone about this and it is stated clearly on
our signup contract.  Most people, when we have to talk to them just say
"Okay, I didn't realize that."  No one argues that they have a right to tie
up the phone line when they aren't using it - that'd just make them sound
selfish or stupid and they know it.

Now, if we were to kick one of these people off it would increase our
profits about $1000 in a year's time and cost some competitor $1000.  So we
have nothing to lose and everything to gain.  We also own other businesses
and we found out very early in life that you should give your problem
customers to your competitors.

--Tony