Re: (ASCEND) Naming Conventions update

On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Kevin A. Smith wrote:

> Once in a while it seems useful to post such information:

Yes it does!

> With the 6.0.X releases, we introduced the concept of "extended" loads.
> These require a special process to upgrade *to* them from earlier loads,
> so we have added some new image names to include these. The general naming
> conventions can be determined from the following list:

<list deleted>

> *  Restricted loads are loads that are truncated for compatibility with
> older versions that only know how to load "thin" loads. They contain only
> enough functionality to run TLOADCODE over IP.  These loads are to be used
> as an intermediate step when an upgrade to a full extended load is
> required.
>
> ** Full loads are complete extended loads that contain full functionality.

So if I am comming from 5.0Ap36, I need to do a "restricted load", then a
"extended load" to get to 6.0.X -- correct?

Why can't I just do a thin load to 6.0.X?  5.0Ap36 is capable of thin
loads isn't it?  When I say this, I noticed that the bik.m18 is small
enough to be a "thin" load - so I wonder why we need a stripped
down version...

What do I do then once at 6.0.X when a 6.0.1 comes out?  Do I do a "thin"
load to get there?  Do I do just an "extended load", or do I have to do
the "restriced load" "extended load" thing again?

Thanks for the info Kevin, it's a lot of help...

Dale