(fwd) Re: (ASCEND) Re: P75 6.0 analog trouble

On Fri, 27 Feb 1998 04:24:11 GMT, Ssevenup@slip.net (Mark Moorcroft) wrote:

>On Thu, 26 Feb 1998 16:48:36 +0000, you spewed forth the following:
>
>>> OK. I'm running P75 with 6.0 software - image was bia.p75 - I don't
>>> notice any POTS difference in terms of noise. I do notice that it is
>>> actually more reliable:
>>>
>>> Every once in a while (maybe 1 in 10 calls) I would notice that I
>>> get a siren sound if I tried to hang up and then make a new POTS
>>> call quickly on the same line. That no longer seems to happen.
>>
>>Have you experienced dropped voice calls when a B comes up for data?
>
>As far as I know the only trouble I experience is that the analog signal (dial
>tone and etc) sounds like its routed through an incredibly dirty connection. I
>can make out a dial tone, dial a voice number, and barely make out the voice on
>the other end. I assume that a modem would not work at all because the signal is
>so dirty. ISDN connections appear to be just fine????? To actually answer your
>question the signal is so nasty I can't sustain a call long enough to know one
>way or the other??

I have since succesfully (in a manner of speaking) gone back and forth between
5.1 and 6.0 twice. I have played with some of the settings that appear to
possibly pertain to the analog function. 6.0 still gives me POTS ports that
sound like there is a small block V8 running along with the dial tone???

Mark Moorcroft          sevenup@slip.net        KF6NTD
     Actual home             Silicon Valley
            Virtual home         www.slip.net/~sevenup