Re: (ASCEND) MaxTNT 2.1.0 Problems

On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, Ken Kosierowski wrote:

> Well, after 1 day running with 2.1.0, my pager went banana's.
>
> The TNT started losing ethernet (up and down) about 6 times within a 20
> minute period, and then reset.  No modem connections were dropped until the
> reset.  Here is the fatal I received:

I didn't even get that far..

Is soon as a went from 2.0.3 to 2.1.0 I immediately got type 2 (memory)
fatal errors.  After the second one, the TNT completely lost it's
configuration.

I had to 'slot -d' most of my cards during their loading phase before I
was able to get a stable enough configuration to be able to tftp 2.0.7
unto the TNT and reload it's configuration.

I highly suspect that 2.1.0 requires MUCH more memory to run the same
cards.  I have the following:

1 - 8 Port T1 Card
1 - 192HDLC Card (okay 96HDLC card)
3 - 56K-series modem cards
1 - 4 Port Ethernet Card
1 - 10 Port Frameline card

I had to do a 'brouterclip -m 0' when using the 2.0.X code to avoid memory
problems before, but 2.1.0 seems to have pushed the memory issue right
over they top.  It's really amazing to me that Ascend only put 8MB of RAM
on the shelf controller -- AND they want $2500.00 for a 32MB upgrade!

Am I missing something here?  Is there a way to trim or adjust the memory
pools to operate this with the original 8MB of RAM?

I suspect that my Type 2 errors when running 2.1bX were also related to
this.  It's not like I'm doing anything that would seem to require so much
memory.

I've reverted to 2.0.7 and it seems to be running stable.  I would really
like to get some V.90 code in place for some of my people to start
testing.

					Mike Jackson
					TSCNet