Re: (ASCEND) Ascend Max 4004 & Series56 Digital Modem Remote Gateway Probs (fwd)

Philip,

I have some experience of OSPF and EIGRP.

The advantage of OSPF are that it is an industry standard and uses link
state.
It does however require careful design as any hierachical system does
(X.400, X500, SNMP, domain names, etc).  For those that do not know the
principals, it is designed in the classic upside down tree format.  The
domains are aclled Areas and the root is called Area Zero.  All traffic
between areas must traverse Area Zero.  You could hang area 10 off Area
3 which hangs off Area Zero (for some geographic or political reason).
However all traffic between 10 and 3 would traverse 3 to zero and back.

The official way to link domains structures is to use a OSPF standards
routing protocol IS-IS.  Howver in my experience BGP 4 is more common
and easier to setup.

OSPF can be frightening but if set up well is much better than any of
the older protocols and is highly interroperable.  The CPU and memory
resources required mya be beyond some manufacturers current abilities -
As Some Certain Emergent Networking Devices mighth already have
discovered (IMHO) ;-/.

The only serious counter to OSPF is EIGRP.  Considering Cisco is the 'de
facto' industry standard, interroperability is often not a problem.
IGRP's main weakness was it kept separate tables for each protocol and
was distance vector (hop count) orientated.  EIGRP is a highly tuned
version of IGRP that shares the routing table between protocols.  this
from Cisco's stand point reduces the CPU load and reduces the memory
requirements; resulting in a faster box.

In practise there is little to choose between them.  Theoretically, OSPF
is better especially in large multipath WAN environments, but EIGRP is a
doddle to setup and manage.

hope this helps

ianC