Re: (ASCEND) Secret is Out

At 04:03 PM 6/23/98 -0500, T. D. Wolf wrote:
>We have a Cisco 2524 at a remote site, connecting via BRI.
>It worked until we upgraded our software from 5.0Ap42 to
>5.0Ap48 in the hopes of fixing many of the ongoing problems
>we've had with our Max 1800.
>
>After much investigation and conversations between Cisco and
>Ascend, we discovered that PAP authentication no longer worked
>if CHAP was also available.  Note that none of our settings or
>configuration had changed on either end.  This broke when
>we upgraded to a new PATCH version of the software.

Explain this to me .... who is answering the call? How is the
MAX configuration setup?

>The Ascend engineer we talked to said that the way authentication
>was handled was a "matter of interpretation" when both PAP and
>CHAP were offered, and acknowledged that the Ascend would not
>interoperate properly with a lot of other devices.

I think this is a communication mix up. The handling of CHAP/PAP is
quite clear and has not changed.

>  In fact, it
>DID work until we upgraded the Ascend software.  She was not
>able to tell me why Ascend's interpretation changed between
>patch revision levels.

It has not to my knowledge.

Kevin Smith			Ascend Communications...
Customer Satisfaction	...where Network Solutions never end.