Real Time Ascend Maling List Archive

Re: (ASCEND) SNMP Question

At 12:46 AM 7/25/99 , you wrote:
>Subject: Re: (ASCEND) SNMP Question
>
>I think that perhaps we've moved past the point of the original
>post which was to prevent simultaneous unauthorized connections
>by users across multiple chassis.  I agree with you that you
>can enable stacking and have successful MPP connections across
>two chassis.  However, you cannot prevent a single-channel analog
>user from dialing into one chassis, and then connect again to
>another chassis (even with Ascend-Maximum-Channels = 1).  I've
>tested this (and I see it on my network all the time).
>
>There are RADIUS implementations which attempt to prevent
>simultaneous use, but they're buggy/flawed to say the least.
>They rely on the NAS to report connections, but it's difficult
>to ensure reliable state information to be reported, especially
>across a NAS reboot.

         I don't know if you have seen the "bradley@onvoy.com"
(http://www.mr.net/~bradley/radius/) modifications, but he has what looks
like the beginnings of a very good modification(s) to the Merit AAA radius
server, including a "Simultaneous-Use" attribute.  I haven't worked with it
much, but he has done some very nice things, like preserving the
"Simultaneous-Use" attribute across SIGHUP's to your radius file and he
even has a script (for livingstons right now I believe) that uses SNMP to
rebuild this list based on who is currently on.   I would love it if
someone has modified this "radius.snmpcheck " utility to work with Ascends,
but haven't had time to even look at it myself yet...
-----
Craig Norborg                                              219.254.5254
Datacruz, Inc.                                        FAX  219.256.1144
doc@datacruz.com                              <http://www.datacruz.com>
Official Tucows Affiliate                  <http://tucows.datacruz.com>
2500 Miracle Lane, Suite D . PO Box 220 . Mishawaka .  IN .  46546-0220