Real Time Ascend Maling List Archive

RE: (ASCEND) ppp negotiation problems w/7.0.22 on MaxTNT

Hello,

dont worry. We have bought a TNT Box and still had and have serious problems
with
the TNT Box and Ascend is not willing to solve problems even to a *paying*
customer..

> with the usual assortment of hopelessly inferior modems.  Since it was
> installed about %10 of the people dialing into the unit are getting
> disconnected during ppp negotiation others seem to get assigned a
> duplicate
> ip address and cause a lan security error and are then ejected.  I am
> attempting to look into the the cause codes at what numbers are turning up
> more frequently but I also thought this might be related to the
> current code
> release since I have seen several complaints about 7.0.22 code.  I assumed
> this is the latest though why 7.0.4 came before 7.0.22 I am not entirely
> certain.  Again, I am new to this product line.  This is related
> to the TNT
> however as when I plug the cisco back in call volumes go right
> back up.  Any

we had a 2.X Version runnig. The TNT didnt support Callback. The first
answer from
Ascend was, that the TNT was developped for a huge amount of DIAL-IN
connections.
They didnt think about dialout. Then we found out that the TNT doesnt
support
EURAW, which has been put into the MAX Boxes for EUNET International (so the
name for a raw-hdlc Session was EU-raw, EU like EUnet... :-)))
The next problem was, that some users got disconnected. The reasion is a
false HDLC Board.
You need at least Rev. F, if you run Software version > 6.X
Our users got disconnected or bad connects... after we changed the HDLC
board, we
didnt see this problem again...

> help in what I can do to trouble shoot the problem, including useful debug
> commands and such would be extremely helpful.  I have already lost 35
> customers since I was asked to switch our ras servers from Cisco and
> Livingston over to ascend.  TIA.

All current versions of TAOS still have problems with fragmentated PPP
Packets. The
Session is still alive, but no data can be transfered. You have to clear the
session
on the TNT or at the customer side...
We have sent PPP outputs to Ascend and they still havent found any solution,
so we have
put back the  IDSL customers to a MAX Box.

My tips:

(1) Check HDLC Card (you need Rev F or higher)
(2) Avoid any DSL Card, because the DSL Session will hang, if you transfer a
certain
    sort of fragmentated PPP packets
(3) Do not use EURAW, since it is not supported
(4) Version 7.2.0 seems to be the best of all versions
(5) Reset the TNT at least  all 2-3 days to get rid of zombi connections.
    Dialout-Connections are still in the TNT and cant be deleted (they are
read-only).

Yes I know, it may seem very frustrated if a vendor has more than 50% in the
market and
has not the need to help customers. It seems to be that Ascend doesnt see
any need
to escalate the problems for dialout-users...

Winfried