Real Time Ascend Maling List Archive

RE: (ASCEND) Takes soooo long to here the first beep.

Hi,

I had similar problem with E1 R2-CAS signalization (not ISDN).

Max is expecting to receive at least some digits from central public switch.
These digits are normally used to establish pass-through dialing (I hope
that this is correct term) for local voice extension. If you are using just
one number for whole E1/T1 (or whole hunt group) central switch might be
configured not to send any numbers and MAX will just wait for them. Most fun
thing is that Max will interpret almost any noise as incoming digits and you
will get modem tone from max only after that (or after timeout -
approximately 20 seconds).

You should turn on all R2 related diagnostics (for list of command type help
ascend on diag prompt). You should call from voice phone and be very silent
and observe time of reaction from Max. On second attempt after you call try
to make much noise (whistle in the handset and dial touch tone digits). If
you are heaving the same problem as I did you will observe some digits on
diagnostics screen and you will get MAX modem answering immediately.

It could be two variations of the problem. Central switch could be sending
you less digits then you expect (expected number can be set on T1/E1 config
screen). I was unable to set MAX not to expect any digits so we solved our
problem by requesting Telco to send 4 digits and setting the MAX
accordingly.

You second problem was already explained on the list. You should set call
routing to send all calls to slot where digital modem card is located (it
will automatically overflow to next digital modem card in circular fashion).
Continuous tone is not V90 modem but ISDN digital router tone. In theory you
could have two numbers and route one of them to digital modem and another to
Ethernet. That will give you separate number for ISDN and separate for
V34/V90 callers (without ISDN signalization MAX cannot auto discriminate
between call types).

Sorry for late reply, hope to be of any help.

Regards, Danko Jevtovic, mailto:danko@jevtovic.com SezamPro OnLine system
administrator http://www.sezampro.yu/