Real Time Ascend Maling List Archive

Re: (ASCEND) MaxTnT 7.0.3 Hangs automaticaly.

>From: Kerrin Pine <kerrinp@chariot.net.au>
>
>Not true - we need the dongle for our TNTs to talk to Alteons properly in
>100M full-duplex mode.

Are you referring to the dongle on the ethernet-3 card?
That's the only card that requires a dongle because of its stupid design.
Other TNT cards do not require any dongle because they have the correct
pinout.

If you are using a MAX dongle, then I'm 100% sure you don't need it: you
probably have a mismatch that gets masked by the dongle.

Dongle or no dongle, the thing to remember is that the 100 MB ports on the
4/1-ether-card and 4-ether2-card cards do not autonegotiate half/full
duplex. This is due to how the signalling works during autonegotiation and
due to the particular PHY chips used in those cards. The 10/100 option may
be negotiated correctly but the half/full duplex part will not be
negotiated.  When using these cards, switches that attempt to autonegotiate
half/full duplex will fail and usually drop to half-duplex because it is
safest.

If you have a 4/1-ether-card or a 4ether2-card and experience intermittent
traffic disruptions on your 100MB link, check first that both sides agree on
all settings (10/100, half/full). If the switch can only autonegotiate (ie,
it can't be configured to a fix setting), then set your TNT for _half_
duplex.

-J