TCLUG Development Archive

Re: [TCLUG-DEVEL:261] JSP and Bean constructors

Bob Tanner wrote:

> Is there a way instantiate a Bean from a JSP page that takes arguements?

No, only default constructors are allowed.  This is because beans used
in JSPs must follow the JavaBean contract (empty constructors, implement
Serializable).

> <jsp:useBean id="foo" scope="session" class="foo.myBean" />
>
> Will instantiate myBean, using the myBean() constructor, what if I want to
> pass in a Properties class to the myBean contructor?
>
> myBean(Properties config)
>
> How can I do that with a JSP page?

Create the bean:
<jsp:useBean id="foo" scope="session" class="foo.myBean" />

and then call a method (like initialize) on the bean that takes a
Properties parameter right after the bean definition.
<% mybean.initialize(config); %>

--
Perry Hoekstra

---
"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit.
"No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I
began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."