Issue 2: Starting a new project

First goal: Learn Linux better, using and developing.
Second goal: Copy all functionality of Sonic Foundry's CD Architect.
(http://www.sonicfoundry.com/Products/ShowProduct.asp?PID=13) I expect to
be using the cdrecord sources for a large part of the code.

Since I'm still somewhat new to C++, that's a plus for KDE. However, I'd
be willing to enhance my C++ skills and deal with GNOME as well. How tough
would it be to develop for both desktops?

What should I consider for cross-platform compatibility (non-Linux)?
Does anyone use an IDE for Linux?
Any handy links to WAV file format specification?
What else should I consider before going forward?

Chris Schumann <whizkid@dwave.net>